Sunday, October 23, 2011

Story of "My Life"

Life begins at 40, people always say, and it is with this view that I evaluate my gains, successes, and yes, my failures in the hope that when the big four-oh begins I would have a better picture of what I'd like my life to be.

If my life were a TV series, this would be my review.

To give you the lowdown on the series called "My Life", my leading man of 12 years had already left the show for good. There were other unforgettable tearjerkers, such as the loss of the firstborn at the start of the marriage and years before that, the giving up on the hope of realizing my big dream in another country during my bachelorette days.

In the last two years, I've portrayed my dual-role as a single mother to a tweener and a full-time career woman in seemingly unremarkable episodes that were occasionally saved by cameo guest appearances. I am thankful that my co-stars never failed to remind me that the show must go on no matter what.

Things turned around when 2O11's brand new season saw incremental changes in the storyline, starting with an unexpected source of inspiration. And life was reborn, with the theme, "redemption".

My dear loyal supporters, the ones who have stayed around, were more than pleased. And with the show's new direction, people are expecting changes...will the now-liberated heroine throw a huge party for her friends to celebrate the milestone, blowing out candles on a cake that says “40 and a little bit naughty”?


In the meantime, I've embarked on a minor reinvention of my screen image, favoring an uneven messed-up shorter style and updated make-up. There is NO WAY I will follow in the footsteps of matrons with their distinctive vacuum-sealed expressions concealed by heavy makeup or uncoordinated outfits highlighting convex figures.

In a business where agelessness exacts a hefty price, I have to remember that a personal enhancement program or health maintenance routines can be justified. If do not consider the initiative worth my investment, then how could I expect to fulfill the things that I am interested in but I haven't tried?

If I were to take up pole dancing, climb another mountain, swim alongside a whale shark, publish my writings, start a business, go on a volunteer vacation, produce documentaries or assemble a desktop computer from scratch, I'd do whatever it takes to defy aging. I'd rather live the rest of my days trying, instead of being trapped in a mindset that would banish me and my dreams to some gloomy corner in a squeaky rocking chair.

I would even defy conventions and explore a new approach to my role as a cougar when a new love interest enters the scene. Should the ratings surge, maybe the season finale might feature a second-time blushing bride.

Well, maybe it's a tad too early for that idea to be finally written in the script. After all, I need to remind myself that I do not write it, and that I take my instructions from my Director. Since it is never His protocol to allow retakes, He never lets the cameras roll until He is certain that I am in character. I may be in the spotlight, but it is HIS SHOW, classified under inspirational drama that promotes human value.

On and on, my story will go, with the yin and yang, light and darkness, with lessons from the past as well as insights that will help me move it forward.

It’s never too late to become what I might have been. So life, just like the show, must go on.

No comments: